Membership Organizations for Psychology Professionals
Membership organizations, or associations, serve as mechanisms for professionals to pursue common interests, collaborate and share information, and receive continuing education and training. We are pleased to provide a comprehensive list of these organizations and links to their sites, sorted by field of study, and in some cases, by geographic region.
- The North American Society of Adlerian Psychology (NASAP) champions the tenets of Individual Psychology and Adlerian thought through its annual conference, journals, newsletters, and training opportunities.
- The American Art Therapy Association (AATA) is an organization of professionals dedicated to the belief that making art is healing and life enhancing. With over 5,000 art therapist members, AATA will support career advancement for members, provide practical support tools and resources, and connect those interested in the field of art therapy to research and information.
Child and Family Services
- The State of Illinois DCFS website provides information on LAN Destiations, which are area meetings within the State of Illinois. These meetings provide networking opportunties in Chicago and throughout the state with professionals working in child and family services. Many clinicians attend these meetings to network and also to seek new staff for psychological agencies or practices.
Marriage and Family
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) is the "Professional Home" and the premier resource for information on marriage and family therapy for family therapists around the world. There are over 24,500 family therapists, practitioners, educators, researchers, and students who are members of AAMFT, and they are located in the US and throughout the world.
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (CAMFT) is an independent professional organization of approximately 30,000 members representing the interests of licensed marriage and family therapists. As a member, CAMFT will provide valuable, practical, and concise information that will assist in achieving the goals of a practicing mental health professional.
- The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology’s (SIOP) mission is to enhance human well-being and performance in organizational and work settings by promoting the science, practice, and teaching of industrial-organizational (I-O) psychology. There are more than 8,000 members around the world. Members benefit from subscriptions that will keep them up-to-date with the latest issues facing the I-O profession; networking and visibility opportunities to expand their reach and contacts in the field; and financial incentives to help them further their career.
Psychology – General
- The American Psychological Association (APA) is the largest scientific and professional organization representing psychology in the United States. APA is the world’s largest association of psychologists, with more than 154,000 researchers, educators, clinicians, consultants, and students as its members. APA’s mission is to advance the creation, communication, and application of psychological knowledge to benefit society and improve people’s lives.
- The American Academy of Clinical Psychology is an organization of Board Certified psychologists in the specialty of Clinical Psychology who have joined together to promote high quality services in Clinical Psychology, through encouraging high standards and ethical practice in the field. The Academy also provides member services, promotes the value and recognition of Board Certification in the specialty of Clinical Psychology, and encourages those qualified to become candidates for Board Certification.
- The Association of Psychological Science is a professional resource for the dispersing of psychological research. Its annual conventions feature the most important names in psychology, and a relatively inexpensive membership fee of $209 a year includes six of the highest rated and most cited journals in psychology globally. This is a great networking opportunity for students and alumni.
- The Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) is the national association for the science, practice and education of psychology in Canada. With over 6,600 members, CPA is Canada’s largest professional association for psychology. CPA will provide information and services at every stage of a member’s education, training, and career.
- The British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC) is a society of regulated Clinical Counsellors dedicated to providing the highest standard of professional counselling, consulting, assessment, testing, and training services.
- The Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) is a national bilingual association providing professional counsellors and psychotherapists with access to exclusive programs, certification, professional development and direct contact with professional peers and specialty groups. As a CCPA member, you will have access to exclusive educational programs, certification programs, professional development opportunities, and direct contact with professional peers and specialty groups.
- The Canadian Professional Counsellors Association (CPCA) is a non-profit entity dedicated to the promotion of public confidence and trust in the counselling profession throughout Canada.
- The International Association for Correctional and Forensic Psychology (IACFP) is an organization of behavioral scientist and practitioners who are concerned with the delivery of high-quality mental health services to criminal offenders, and with promoting and disseminating research on the etiology, assessment and treatment of criminal behavior.
The Society for Police and Criminal Psychology (SPCP) is a professional organization that encourages the scientific study of police and criminal psychology and the application of scientific knowledge to problems in criminal justice. SPCP members play many roles in law enforcement and criminal justice and come from all over the world. The Society supports the development of Police Psychology as a recognized specialty area, and the development of educational opportunities in the field.