Jennifer LaCivita, Psy.D.
"I believe in creating a safe place for self-expression
using a gentle, compassionate approach, fostering
healthy living through Positive Psychology."
-Jennifer La Civita, Psy.D.
Jennifer La Civita
Department Chair, M.A. in Counseling: Art Therapy
As an Adler graduate, advocate of the arts in the community, and a witness to urban revitalization through the arts, I value self-expression, self-reflection, critical thinking, and arts advocacy. As a fourth generation Chicagoan, my roots in neighborhood support, social responsibility, unity in diversity, and activism run deep.
My interests are in Art Therapy, Social Interest, kinesthetic learning styles, community engagement through the arts, arts administration, and art making.
As an artist, art therapist, and Adlerian clinician, I practice complementary and alternative modes of holistic healing, with a specialization in art therapy, bibliotherapy, journaling, meditation, music, yoga, and guided visualization. I believe in creating a safe place for self-expression using a gentle, compassionate approach, fostering healthy living through Positive Psychology.
Please email or call me (312.662.4362) if you have any questions or would like more information about me.
- Psy.D., Clinical Psychology, Adler School of Professional Psychology
- M.A., Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy, Adler School of Professional Psychology
- B.A., Art and English, St. Mary of the Woods College
- Arts Administration/Art History/English Literature Exchange Student, Richmond College, London, England
- Teacher certification courses, North Park University
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- Registered Art Therapist (ATR)
- Licensed Monart Drawing Instructor
- American Art Therapy Association
- Illinois Art Therapy Association
- Creative Arts Therapist Network of Chicago
- Cultural Network, Department of Cultural Affairs, City of Chicago, 1999-2009
- Woman Made Gallery Board of Director Member, 1990-1995
- La Civita, J. (2009-Current) Northwest Side Parents Circle: Positive Approaches to Parenting. Ongoing Support Groups for Parents of Toddlers to Teenagers. Monthly ongoing sessions at St. Tarcissus School, St. Juliana School, St. Monica Academy, St. Thecla School, St. Mary of the Woods School, St. Robert Bellarmine School.
- La Civita, J. (2012-Current) Positive Parenting Seminars: The Homework Advantage: Hope, Happiness, and Help for a Harmonious Evening. Self-Worth and Self Esteem: Raising Happy and Healthy Daughters. Glenview School District 34, Partners in Parenting Conferences, Attea Middle School.
- La Civita, J. (2012, March, April, May, June). Wellness Series with Dr. La Civita: Mind, Spirit and Body. Resurrection Medical Center, Chicago, IL.
- La Civita, J. (2007, August, February, April, June; 2006, September, December). Health Psychology and Wellness: Complementary and Alternative Modes of Healing. Seminars for Hospital Staff, Patients and Their Family. Shriners Childrens Hospitals-Chicago, Chicago, IL
- La Civita, J. (2007, August, February, April, June; 2006, September, December). Care for the Caregiver: Meditation and Health. Shriners Childrens Hospitals-Chicago, Chicago, IL
- La Civita, J. (2007, October; 2006, October, June; 2005, June; 2004, April). A Time to Honor, Celebrate, Share and Acknowledge Ourselves, Who We Are, and What Lies Ahead. A Seminar for teens and their parents. Transition to Adulthood Program. Shriners Childrens Hospitals-Chicago.
- La Civita, J (2008, October, May, June). Self-Expression for Greater Insight and Enlightenment. Portage Park Center for the Arts and the Portage Park Senior Center, Chicago, IL.
- La Civita, J. (2007, November). Neighborhood Revitalization Through Wellness and the Arts. Old Irving Park Neighborhood Improvement Association, Community Forum, Chicago, IL.
- La Civita, J. (1999-2009). Letters from the Executive Director. Portage Park Center for the Arts Bi-Annual/Annual Publications, Chicago, IL.
- La Civita, J. (2006, August). Portage Park Center for the Arts – What an Art and Wellness Center Can Do for You. Portage Park Neighborhood Association Publication, Chicago, IL. Old Irving Park Neighborhood Association Publication, Chicago, IL.
- La Civita, J. (2003, November). The Arts and Community Revitalization. Old Irving Park Neighborhood Association Publication, Chicago, IL.
- La Civita, J. (2003, September). The Arts and Urban Revitalization. Lerner Newspaper, Chicago, IL.
- La Civita, J. (1997, May). Art Market Reports: Urban Revitalization and the Arts. Art Calendar Magazine.
Honors and Awards
- Volunteer of the Year Award: St. Mary of the Woods Alums Recruiting Tomorrow’s Students, 8/2010
- Member of Psi Chi, National Honor Society of Psychologists-current
- City of Chicago 38th Ward Community Contribution Recognition, 2003
- Northwest Area Arts Council, Award Recipient, 1997
- St. Mary of the Woods College Deans List, Basch Scholar and Honor Society member, 1984-1988
- St. Mary of the Woods CollegeAcademic and Art Scholarship Recipient, 1984-1988