Our Philosophy on Online Learning
At Adler University, online degree programs are designed to be engaging, interactive, and student-centered. Our innovative coursework is developed and delivered by qualified subject matter experts who are trained in online instruction. Adler University’s online programs are accredited through the Higher Learning Commission and the Illinois Board of Higher Education. All of our online courses are developed based on internationally recognized standards for quality design and delivery. Although the online degree programs are rigorous, they are also designed to accommodate the busy schedule of working adults. State of the art technology is used to enhance the learning experience for our students, with a focus on accessibility.
Online Course Structure
Most of our online courses are 7.5-8 weeks in length. Within each week, students are expected to review the course materials, participate in learning activities, and complete the necessary assignments. Our convenient asynchronous learning model, in which students can complete course requirements at any time within a specific date range, allows students to participate at their own pace. At Adler University, our courses include a variety of interactive features such as:
- Discussion and video forums for enhanced interaction with peers
- Written assignments such as research papers, position papers, analyses, or responses to specific questions or tasks
- Audio or video assignments, such as testimonials, interviews, presentations, or reflections
- Quizzes or exams for interactive assessment your progress
- Readings with guiding questions or lists of key terms and ideas
- Simulations and role-playing to practice the skills you have learned
- Games that serve as an informational and interactive way to reinforce course content
- Audio recordings and videos that compliment course content and readings
- Visual aids such as diagrams, tables, and other materials
What can you expect as an online student?
Online student schedules are unique to each individual, since our online student body is made up of in-state, out-of-state, and international students. Adler University understands that students have busy schedules and other obligations, so we provide guidance and access to resources to help our students succeed. Our online student body has access to, and is supported by, the same administrative and academic staff that assist our on-campus students. In addition, our online students receive training and mentorship from faculty and supporting staff in preparation for taking online courses.
Online Learning vs. On-campus Learning
Adler University’s online and blended learning model provides an educational experience in which the learning is equally as rigorous as the on-campus courses. The teaching methods might differ, but we replicate the face-to-face experience by using the best practices in online course design and development, and the latest educational technologies to improve your learning experience.
The following measures have been taken by Adler University to ensure that the quality of our online programs is sustained:
- All online faculty members are trained in best practices for online teaching. This training standardizes the student learning experience.
- Adler University is a member of the Sloan Consortium -- a leadership organization dedicated to integrating online education into the mainstream of higher education educators to improve the quality, scale, and breadth of online education.
- Adler University is committed to implement the Quality Matters standards for the design of online and/or hybrid courses. We are systematically building and evaluating our courses based on these rigorous, research-based standards. The Quality Matters standards assure that the online components of these courses promote learner engagement and provide students will all the tools and information they need to be successful learners. More information regarding Quality Matters, please visit their website.