Applying for Financial Aid

An advanced degree is an investment 
in yourself—and your future. 
/* Style Definitions */

An advanced degree is an investment
in yourself—and your future.

Apply for Financial Aid

Filing your federal tax return is the first step in applying for financial aid. Next, file the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You’ll need your Department of Education FSA ID as well as your Social Security number and driver's license number; W-2 formsor any other records of earned income; federal income tax return for the previous year; records of other untaxed income (welfare, Social Security, veteran's benefits, AFDC, TANF, ADC, and military or clergy allowances); and current bank statements and records of other savings and investments such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.


  • Non-US citizens will need their permanent resident card.
  • Adler University's federal school code is G20681.
  • All graduate students must file as "independent" regardless of the dependency status listed on their federal tax return.
  • All housing is "off campus.”
  • Parents' tax information should not be included.
  • We recommend that you retain a copy of the FAFSA completion confirmation e-mail for future follow up.
  • Failure to meet the completion deadline will delay processing of your financial aid packet and could result in delays to disbursement.
  • The preferred FAFSA completion deadline for returning students is June 15th, 2016. If you do not meet the completion deadline this will delay processing of your financial aid packet which could result in delays to your funds disbursement for the Fall 2016 term.

After you have completed your FAFSA, confirm mailing address. 2016–2017 Financial Aid Award Notice emails are sent to each student's Adler University email address, however, the Office of Financial Aid may send other material to the student address on record. Please check WebAdvisor to confirm we have the correct address and contact the Registrar to make any necessary changes.

Finally, update your Student Aid Report (SAR). Once you submit your FAFSA, the Department of Education will send you a SAR for review. If you have missing or incorrect information, make changes immediately. Your completed FAFSA will be sent to us, and we will produce an award notice email detailing your Direct Loan and Federal Work Study award. You must complete and return all required forms before we can certify Direct Loans.

Note: Some students' files will be selected for a process called Verification, either by the Department of Education or by the University. If your file is verified, you will be required to submit a signed copy of your federal tax return and additional forms before an award notice email can be produced for you. This step can delay the application process, so we strongly recommend completing the FAFSA early.

Apply for Alternative (Private) Loans

The first step in applying for Alternative Loans is choosing a lender. The Office of Financial Aid cannot help you choose a lender. You will also need to determine the amount of your loan. Please note that your loan must fit within your defined cost of attendance for the year.