Studying in the U.S.
Studying in the United States
Upon acceptance to the Adler School of Professional Psychology, international students may apply for an F-1 (student) or J-1 (exchange student) Visa. Please submit the required tuition deposit as well as the following forms to the Adler School:
- International Student Checklist
- International Student Request for I-20
- Affidavit of Financial Support
The Office of Admissions will enter your name and information into the SEVIS database and will mail you an original I-20 along with any other required documents. You will then need to make an appointment with the American embassy in your district (if required) and present the I-20 or DS-2019 to the consulate. Prior to meeting with the consulate, you must complete Form I-901 and submit a fee of $200 to the Department of Homeland Security.
- You can access the I-901 by downloading it. When completing the I-901, enter your name exactly as it appears on the I-20 or the DS-2019. If you choose to complete the I-901 online, you may pay by Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
- Another payment option is Western Union Quick Pay. This option is available in any country where Western Union offers its Quick Pay service. Instructions, along with a completed sample of the Western Union form, can be found on the SEVP website. Bring a printed copy of the instructions and the sample of the completed form to the Western Union agent.
- If you elect to submit the I-901 by mail, include a check, international money order, or foreign draft (drawn on US banks only) in the amount of $200 USD. Mail the form and the fee to the address listed on the Form 901. The Department of Homeland Security will mail you a receipt within three days of processing. Make copies of your receipt and keep it with your other important immigration documents. It is better to pay your SEVIS fee online because it will be processed immediately, and you can retrieve your receipt directly from your computer. You must pay the fee at least three business days prior to applying for your Visa, or applying for admission to the port of entry if you are exempt from the visa requirement.
To obtain a student visa, you must be prepared to prove:
- You have a valid passport, and you have been admitted to the Adler School of Professional Psychology.
- You have sufficient funds to cover all of your expenses for the duration of your stay.
- If sponsored by an agency, show a letter indicating your award.
- If your support is from family funds, show bank statements, letters of credit, and the available assets of your parents.
- At a minimum, your financial documentation must demonstrate you meet the financial requirements indicated by Adler School
- You plan to return to your country and not remain in the US after completion of your studies (you may have to show you have a good reason to return home).
- You will be a full-time student each semester.
- You will not work illegally.
- You will maintain an acceptable academic standing.
If the consulate finds you qualified, he or she will stamp a visa approval on your passport. Some visas allow one entry into the US, while some allow two or more. We suggest requesting a multiple-entry visa, because you may want to travel for a short vacation.