Helping you navigate
the graduate school
At the Adler School of Professional Psychology, we take great pride in our diverse student body. Students represent a wide range of professional interests, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and academic and work histories. We admit individuals with a record of outstanding academic achievement and a commitment to social responsibility.
The minimum requirements for admission include:
- A baccalaureate degree from a college or university that is regionally accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency, or an equivalent academic degree from a foreign college or university. Please note: if you are nearing completion of a baccalaureate degree, you may apply for early admission contingent upon successful degree completion.
- Fulfillment of minimum admission requirements for your program of choice
- Acceptable proficiency in spoken and written English
Possession of the minimum requirements does not ensure admission. The School reserves the right to admit or deny admission based on the professional judgment of faculty and administration involved in the admission process.
Applying for Admission
To apply to the Adler School of Professional Psychology, please submit the following:
- Online Application for Admission
- Autobiographical essay/personal statement:
- Your personal statement should be a typed (12-pt font), autobiographical essay of no more than three pages double-spaced.
- The statement should include a discussion of your personal and professional experiences up to the present time and your career goals and interests relevant to the degree program for which you are applying.
- Your reasons for applying to the Adler School Vancouver Campus.
- Explanations for any low grades, withdrawals, or inconsistencies on your transcripts.
- Any other information you feel will help us assess your qualifications.
- Application fee
- GRE General Score for all Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (Psy. D.) applications. Please note: the GRE is NOT required for applications to our Masters in Psychology programs.
- Official transcripts from each undergraduate and graduate school attended, regardless of whether or not you received a degree.
- Three letters of recommendation accompanying the Adler School recommendation form.
- You are strongly encouraged to have your recommenders submit their letters through our online application system rather than having them mail or fax them to our office. Online submission guarantees we will receive them, that they are certified original copies, and that they are completed correctly.
- Your three letters of recommendation should come from a combination of academic and professional references, such as professors, advisors, and work supervisors.
- Letters of recommendation from family or friends will not be considered.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Applicants whose first language is not English must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Please note: submission of these scores may not be necessary for all students; contact the Office of Admissions Vancouver Campus to confirm requirements.
- Send scores directly to the School through the testing service. The Vancouver campus code number for receiving TOEFL test scores is 6215.
- Applicants who take the paper-based TOEFL must receive a minimum score of 580.
- Applicants who take the computer-based TOEFL must receive a minimum score of 240.
- Applicants who take the Internet-based TOEFL must receive a minimum score of 92. Applicants should achieve a minimum of 22 on each of the four sections of the Internet-Based TOEFL: reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- Applicants who take the IELTS must receive a minimum Academic score of 7
*Please note: you are encouraged to submit your online application before submitting your other required documentation to the Office of Admissions.
The Adler School employs a rolling admissions process for all Master's programs, which means we continue to accept applications until all spaces in our programs have been filled. While this offers additional time to complete an application, it is important to note that our programs fill early, and securing official transcripts and letters of recommendation can take time.
The Adler School's priority application deadline for our Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (Psy. D.) program is February 15th.
Evaluation of Applications
The Admissions Committee evaluates applicants on a number of factors:
- Academic performance
- Content and clarity of written and verbal communication
- Strength of recommendations
- Personal and professional presentation throughout the admissions processes
- Community service interest and/or experience
- Prior professional work experience
- Integrity, motivation, and personal ethics
*Applicants to our Counselling Psychology programs (thesis and non-thesis options), should provide evidence of existing counselling aptitude prior to admission to the program.
Applicants can demonstrate this requirement in various ways including undergraduate counselling skills coursework, supervised counselling experience (such as crisis line training), or other experience deemed relevant by the Admissions Committee.
If we approve your application, you’ll interview with a member of the Adler School faculty.
Acceptance of Admission
The Director of Admissions will notify you of acceptance in writing. To complete the process, you must submit the applicable tuition deposit.
If accepted for admission, you may receive transfer credit for graduate level courses previously taken at other accredited institutions. You must submit a transfer credit request to the Office of Admissions. A maximum of 12 credit hours may be transferred into an M.A. program.
Students wishing to transfer from other graduate programs must submit a letter from the dean of their previous program stating they are in good academic standing and free from academic or disciplinary inquiry or action.