Jon Carlson, Psy.D. Chicago Campus
"I call on my 65,000 hours of clinical experience to provide
numerous examples to make materials seem relevant."
- Jon Carlson, Psy.D., Ed.D., ABPP
Jon Carlson, Psy.D., Ed.D., ABPP
Distinguished Professor of Adlerian Psychology
Center for Adlerian Practice and Scholarship
I am an older faculty member with over 45 years of teaching experience in higher education. I am as interested in the content of instruction as the process. I stress an equal relationship and see graduate students as my colleagues. I believe that the students are capable of learning the important concepts of being a professional counselor or psychologist if I can present them in a meaningful manner. I call on my 65,000 hours of clinical experience to provide numerous examples to make the materials seem relevant
My areas of expertise and interest include clinical psychology, counseling psychology, couples and family therapy, Adlerian psychotherapy, school counseling, counselor education, couples education, elementary education, coaching at college level, athletic performance, media psychology, writing and publication, international psychology, and meditation & mindfulness.
- Psy.D., Clinical Psychology, Alfred Adler Institute, Chicago
- Certificate of Psychotherapy, Alfred Adler Institute, Chicago
- Ed.D., Counseling, Wayne State University, Detroit
- M.S., Guidance & Ed Psychology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- B.S., Elementary Education, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- American Psychological Association – Fellow
- American Counseling Association – Fellow
- North American Society of Adlerian Psychology – Diplomate
- Wisconsin Psychology Associaiton – Fellow (former Secretary)
- American Association of Marriage & Family Therapy – clinical member
- International Association of Marriage & Family Counselors –past President
- Carlson, J. & Dinkmeyer, D. (2003). Time for a Better Marriage. Atascadero, CA: Impact Publishers.
- Carlson, J., Watt, R., & Maniacci, M. (2006). Adlerian Therapy. Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Carlson, J. & Englar-Carlson, M. (2016). Adlerian Psychotherapy. Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Kottler, J. & Carlson, J. (2014). Becoming a Master Therapist. New York: Wiley.
- Kottler, J. & Carlson, J. (2016). Therapy Over Fifty: Aging Issues in Psychotherapy and the Therapist’s Life. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kottler, J. & Carlson, J. (2003). The Mummy at the Dining Room Table. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Sperry, L., Carlson, J., Sauheber-Duba, J., & Sperry, J. (2015) Psychopathology & Psychotherapy (3rd Ed) New York: Routledge.
- Sperry, L. & Carlson, J. (2014). How Master Therapist’s Work. New York: Routledge
- Carlson, J. & Dermer, S. (2016) Enclyclopedia of Marriage, Family and Couples Counseling. (4 Volumes). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Carlson, J. & Maniacci, M. (2011). Alfred Adler Revisted. New York: Routledge
- Love, P. & Carlson, J. (2011). Never Be Lonely Again. New York: HCI
- Faculty, Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference, 2013, 2017 (Moderator 2000, 20005, 2009)
- Keynote, American Counseling Association, 2004
- Keynote, Japan Psychology Association, Osaka, 2006
- Keynote, Thailand Psychology Association, Bangkkok, 2006
- Keynote, National Hsinchu University, Taipai, Taiwan
- Keynote, North American Society of Adlerian Psychology, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007
- American Counseling Association; Living Legend 2004; Professional Development Award, 1993; President’s Award, 2015; Dinkmeyer Social Interest Award, 2004; Fellow, 2005
- American Psychological Association: Fellow 1991; Distinguished Psychologist Award (Lifetime contribution to psychotherapy – Division 29) 2009; Distinguished Career Contributions to Education & Training Award, 2011.
- Faculty Excellence Award, Governors State Univeristy 1991, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- North American Society of Adlerian Psychology: Annual Award 1990, 1996; Ansbacher Lecture Award, 1999; Lifetime Achivemeent Award, 2014
- Association of Counselor Education & Supervision; Vision & Innovation Award, 1999; Publication Award, 2007
- Adler University: 1st Distinguished Alumni Award, 2006