Justin Lauka, Ph.D. Chicago Campus
"I seek to cultivate a supportive community within
Adler that encourages authenticity, critical self-reflection,
-Justin Lauka, Ph.D.
Justin Lauka, Ph.D.
Program Director and Associate Professor
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program
As an educator, I see my role as more of a facilitator than lecturer, co-constructing knowledge and meaning that is grounded in the prevailing evidence-based practices. Valuing the breadth of diversity, worldviews, and experiences that students bring to the classroom, I aim to create dialogue that seeks understanding of the curriculum while deconstructing the assumptions of the material. Undergirding the entire process is a constant effort to maintain a safe environment that is conducive to the risk taking and self-exploration necessary for student growth.
My professional experiences range from clinical work in community mental health agencies to administrative oversight in academic settings. I have worked in community mental health agency and EAP settings, providing intake assessments, treatment planning, crisis intervention, and care coordination. I have provided clinical supervision to graduate students in several academic institutions, and worked in an administrative capacity overseeing clinical training and graduate admissions within a counseling program. I am currently a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) in the State of Illinois, Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CMHC), and Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS).
My goal for every student at Adler is that they become effective, intentional, and compassionate mental health professionals and advocates in the community. To this end, I seek to cultivate a supportive community within Adler that encourages authenticity, critical self-reflection, and collaboration.
Please email or call me (312.662.4307) if you have questions or would like more information about me.
- Ph.D., Counselor Education and Supervision, Old Dominion University
- M.A., Counseling, Regent University
- B.A., Psychology, Michigan State University
- B.A., Finance, Michigan State University
- American Counseling Association, Professional Standards Committee Member (2012-Present)
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Interest Network Chair (2012-Present)
- American Mental Health Counselors Association, Member
- Illinois Counseling Association, Member
- Lauka, J. D., & McCarthy, A. K. (2013). Proposed guidelines for operating counselor education and supervision training clinics. Counselor Education and Supervision, 52, 109-121.
- Lauka, J. D., Remley, T. P., & Ward, C. A. (2013). Attitudes of counselors regarding ethical situations encountered by in-home counselors. The Family Journal, 21(2), 129-135.
- Sikes, A., Cole, R. F., McBride, R., Fusco, A., & Lauka, J. (2009). Addressing the needs of substance abusing adolescents: A guide for professional school counselors. Journal of School Counseling, 7(43), 1-23. Retrieved from http://jsc.montana.edu/articles/v7n43.pdf
- Collaboration: A necessary Condition in the Pursuit of Social Justice and a Positive Future, Rocky Mountain Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, October, 2014
- A Social Justice Approach to Strategic Planning: Creating Relationships for Wellness Through Collaborative Engagement, Illinois Counseling Association Annual Conference, November 2013
- Adopting a Social Justice Paradigm During Counseling Students’ First Practicum. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, October, 2013
- Counselor Education Training Clinics: Bridging the Gap Between Counselor Education Programs and Society, Illinois Counseling Association Annual Conference, November, 2012