Michele Kerulis, Ed.D. Chicago Campus
"I believe in teaching students through
strengths-based and collaborative methods."
- Michele Kerulis, Ed.D.
Michele Kerulis, Ed.D.
M.A. in Counseling, Specialization in Sport and Health Psychology
Our Specialization in Sport and Health Psychology is unique in that it provides students with educational experiences to become efficient counselors and certified sport psychology consultants. This program aligns with Adlerian philosophy in that we teach student to be socially responsible practitioners as they examine issues related to counseling, health, and sports from multiple perspectives.
I believe in teaching students through strengths-based and collaborative methods. I encourage students to take responsibility for their learning process by promoting critical thinking and creativity in the classroom. I work to create classroom environments in which students can feel comfortable and respected when expressing their ideas.
My experiences as a clinician, professor, fitness professional, and supervisor have shaped my style as a scholar-practitioner. I believe in working from a wellness perspective as I encourage students and clients to assess their overall well-being as they examine their mind-body connections. My state, regional, and national presentations and workshops focus on counselor health and wellness; assisting athletes in improved performance and sport-academic balance; and professional development.
Please e-mail or call me (312-662-4310) if you have questions or would like more information about me.
- Ed.D., Counselor Education and Supervision, Northern Illinois University
- M.A., Sport and Exercise Psychology, Arizona School of Professional Psychology
- B.A., Psychology, Loyola University Chicago
- Illinois Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- Certified Sport Psychology Consultant (CC-AASP, Association for Applied Sport Psychology)
- Illinois Counseling Association, President Elect-Elect
- Illinois Mental Health Counselors Association, Board Member
- Illinois Counselor Educators and Supervisors, Board Member
- Association of Applied Sport Psychology, CC-AASP
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychological Association, Div 47, Exercise & Sport Psychology
- Isley, P., Karing, J., & Kerulis, M. (Eds.) (2008). Research, Planning, and Policy: Emerging Trends in Baltic and Nordic Lifelong Learning. Tampere, Finland: Juvenes Print.
- Creative Experiential Supervision. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Oct. 2011 (Kakacek, S. & Kerulis, M.)
- The essence of tradition and wellness. Martial Arts as a counseling intervention. Illinois Counseling Association, Nov. 2011
- Women leaders in sport: Symposium. Association for Applied Sport Psychology Annual Conference, Sept. 2011 (Machida, M., Coppola, A., Carlson, E., Kerulis, M., & Carter, L.)
- The School Counselor’s Role in Student-Athlete Development, Illinois School Counselor Association Annual Conference, April, 2010
- Mental Toughness Training: Using Sport Psychology Techniques in MMA. GFight Summit 2010, March, 2010