Tiffany McDowell, Ph.D. Chicago Campus
"I am particularly interested in building the capacity
of community organizations and residents to
advocate for policy change."
- Tiffany McDowell, Ph.D.
Tiffany McDowell, Ph.D., M.F.T.
Executive Director, Institute on Social Exclusion
Associate Director, Center on the Social Determinants
of Mental Health
My primary role is to support the development and implementation of the research component the Mental Health Impact Assessment that the ISE is currently conducting on a proposed amendment to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s Policy Guidance on the use of arrest records in employment decisions. I am particularly interested in building the capacity of community organizations and residents to advocate for policy change.
Previously, I served as Assistant Director for Research & Programs at the Center for Closing the Health Gap in Greater Cincinnati, where I developed and evaluated community health interventions to reduce disparities in obesity. Much of my work centered on empowering residents to develop strategies to maximize the effectiveness of community health programs. I managed a resident-led neighborhood health assessment that resulted in 14 policy recommendations for improving access to healthy foods in the city of Cincinnati. I am also a licensed marriage and family therapist, and have worked specifically with issues surrounding HIV/AIDS, incarceration, and other disenfranchised client groups.
Please e-mail or call me (312-662-4015) if you have questions or would like more information about me.
- Ph.D.Couple and Family Therapy, Ohio State University
- M.S. Family and Child Studies, Miami University (OH)
- B.S. Psychology, Southern University and A&M College
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, Associate Member
- American Counseling Association, Member
- American Public Health Association, Member
- Glebova, T., Bartle-Haring, S., Adkins, K., Delaney, R., Gangamma, R., Grafsky, E., Knerr, M., McDowell, T. L., Meyer, K., & Silverthorn, B. (in press). Therapeutic alliance and progress in couple therapy. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy.
- Knerr, M., Bartle-Haring, S., McDowell, T. L., Adkins, K., Delaney, R. O., Gangamma, R.,Gelbova, T., Grafsky, E., Meyer, K, & Silverthorn, B. (in press). The impact of initial factors on therapeutic alliance in couple therapy. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy.
- McDowell, T. L. (2009). City of Cincinnati Food Access Task Force Final Report. Cincinnati,OH : The Center for Closing the Health Gap.
- McDowell, T. L., & Serovich, J. M. (2007). The effect of perceived and actual social support on the mental health of HIV-positive persons. AIDS Care, 19, 1223-1229.
- Serovich, J. M., McDowell, T. L., & Grafsky, E. (2008).Women’s report of regret of HIV disclosure to family, friends and sex partners. AIDS and Behavior, 12, 227-231.
- Serovich, J. M., Craft, S., McDowell, T. L., Grafsky, E. L., & Andrist, D. (2009). Strategies for initiating safer sex. AIDS Education and Prevention, 21, 1-13.
- Serovich, J. M., Craft, S. M., Toviessi, P., Gangamma, R., McDowell, T. L., & Grafsky, E. (2008). A review of the research base on reparative therapies. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy,34, 227-238.
- McDowell, T. L. & Wallace, E. V. (2011, March) Quality and Access to Health Care: Perceptions of Minority Residents in Greater Cincinnati. Presentation at the National Council for Black Studies Annual Conference.
- McDowell, T., Tillery, D., Harris, R. & Cencula, L. (2010, November). Galvanizing Faith Leaders to Increase Access to Healthy Foods. Presentation at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Bartle-Haring, S., Silverthorn, B., Glebova, T., Knerr, M., McDowell, T. L., & Gangamma, R. (2007, November). Therapeutic alliance in couple therapy: Whose view matters? Symposium presented at the National Council on Family Relations Annual Conference,Pittsburgh, PA.
- Serovich, J. M., McDowell, T. L. & Grafsky, E. (2007, November).Women’s report of regret of HIV disclosure to family, friends and sex partners. Paper presented at the National Council on Family Relations Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.