Give Apply Info

Request Information

You need a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution to enroll in Adler University programs.

Okay

Stories | 09.13.17

Adler Transforms Us into Attuned, Confident Practitioners

Jordan Pickell, M.C.P. ’13, is a sexual assault counsellor at Vancouver’s Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW) Rape Crisis Centre. She works alongside self-identified women in individual counseling and in support groups with a feminist, anti-oppressive, decolonizing approach. She focuses on community organizing, speaking out in the media, and facilitating workshops for students, teachers, and frontline workers. Pickell is dedicated to creating caring and respectful spaces for women to feel connected in resisting violence and oppression across the world.

“At Adler University, we dive into deep self- and relational work that transforms us into attuned, thoughtful, and confident practitioners,” says Pickell. “The education at Adler and my resulting work has given me the chance to find community, to live my ethics, to develop what we Adler alums call gemeinshaftsgefühl. I am enlivened by my work as a feminist counsellor—working with survivors and working to change thinking, action, and systems that contribute to violence against women.”

“I love this quote by Maya Angelou: ‘Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.’ My education at Adler has given me this kind of meaningful success.”

Guided by her feminist anti-oppressive approach, Pickell works collaboratively with people of all genders who have experienced trauma. For more information, visit her website at jordanpickellcounselling.ca.