Info Apply Share

Request Information

You need a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution to enroll in Adler University programs.

Okay

Stories | 09.13.17

Inspire Socially Responsible Clinicians

Gary Howell, Psy.D. ’08, an associate professor and director of practicum training at the Florida School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University, Tampa, has spent more than 20 years supporting and advocating for the LGBT community. As an openly gay psychologist, educator, and LGBT expert, he works to shed light on bullying, suicide, and homophobia, and has inspired many students to become change agents themselves.

A recipient of the 2016 & 2017 Florida Diversity Council’s LGBT Leader Award and an inaugural honoree of the 2016 Tampa Bay Business Journal’s LGBT Voices, Howell has provided pro bono services to Pulse nightclub shooting survivors, as well as transgender youth and their parents. He recently spoke before the Tampa City Council on the need to ban conversion therapy and each year leads a team of graduate students in Florida’s Smart Ride, the country’s second-largest AIDS awareness bike event. Howell, who runs his own private practice, is also launching the Institute for LGBT Health and Wellbeing, a nonprofit focused on training, education, and research on LGBT wellness and healthcare disparities.

“I am proud of my Adler University roots and truly believe the emphasis on social justice and socially responsible practice resonated with my personality and values,” says Howell, current president of the Florida Psychological Association Bay Chapter and recipient of its Early Career Psychologist Award. “I have utilized my training at Adler to inspire the students I teach, supervise, and mentor to become socially responsible clinicians. In the interest of gemeinschaftsgefühl, I started the nonprofit to open doors for the LGBT community; encourage systemic change around stigma, oppression, health care disparities; and to challenge homobigotry.”