Give Apply Info

Request Information

You need a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution to enroll in Adler University programs.

Okay

In the Media | 01.13.21

Chicago Campus Students Featured by American Art Therapy Association

Chicago Campus Master of Arts in Counseling: Art Therapy students Elisha-Rio P. Apilado and Zachary D. Van Den Berg were both interviewed for the American Art Therapy Association (AATA) featured members series. They shared how their professional and personal lives have been impacted during the pandemic.

In her interview with AATA, Apilado shares the challenges of managing her own stress as she works with clients who have been deeply impacted by COVID-19.

“One of my patients I do telehealth with has a lot of anxiety about COVID-19 and restricts themselves from leaving their home and keeps to the stay-at-home order.” said Apilado. “To better serve this patient, I make sure to journal or create art after the session to reflect on any feelings. I have also committed to a 5-minutes breathing exercise before and after the session to stay grounded and focused.”

In his interview that took place in July 2020, Van Den Berg shares how he has used time in quarantine to examine his power and privilege to promote Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC).

“Because of my position as a student, I recognize that I lack the experience and power to address and act for equitable access to care and professional solidarity with BIPOC art therapists.” said Van Den Berg.

“The discrepancy between my desire to take action and my ability to actualize that desire has opened my eyes to value an intersectional approach to examining the power and privilege I hold in other areas.”

Read the  AATA interviews, “Featured Member: Elisha-Rio P. Apilado, BFA, RBT” and “Featured Member: Zachary D. Van Den Berg.”