Military Benefits

Adler University Specialization in Military Psychology

Helping veterans become
agents of social change.

Using Veterans Education Benefits or Military Assistance

U.S Military Veterans or those who are on active duty/reserve may qualify for education benefits to help fund their Adler education. A student must be admitted prior to applying for Veterans Education or Military benefits. Once admitted, the student can start the process of applying for benefits by following the steps below.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Veterans Education Benefits

Veterans education benefits are approved by the Illinois State Approving Agency. These programs offer a variety of benefits for students based on their individual Military Enlistment history. Below are the different benefits that are approved by the Illinois State Approving Agency. Use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to determine which benefit program is the right one for you. Payment rates for each type of benefit are also available online.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33) provides the following benefits to, or on behalf of, the student:

  • A scaled tuition and fee payment ranging between 40 and 100 percent of billed mandatory charges, which is dependent on length of active service. The payment is made directly to Adler. The 40 percent benefit level will be eliminated on August 1, 2020.
  • A monthly housing allowance (MHA) paid to the student and payable for the zip code of the campus where the student physically attends the majority of classes. This applies to the first enrollment in an educational program on or after August 1, 2018.

Note: Students in Adler’s Online Campus will be paid at one-half the BAH national average. Students on active duty or who are enrolled half-time or less are not eligible for the MHA.

  • A books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year which is paid proportionally based on enrollment.
  • Some Veterans may be able to transfer their benefits to a spouse or dependent.
  • Adler participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which entitles Veterans at the 100 percent Tier Level to receive full payment of their mandatory charges in excess of the annual cap.

Active duty Service Members and their spouses are not currently eligible for Yellow Ribbon consideration.

Applying for Veterans Education Benefits

To begin using VA Education Benefits, the student must submit the appropriate forms to the VA.

  • First-time users of VA Education Benefits must apply to use their benefits with the VA.
  • Veterans who have used their benefits before and who wish to transfer those benefits to Adler must submit form 22-1995 or form 22-5495 (as appropriate) to the VA.

After applying for or transferring benefits, the Department of Veterans Affairs will determine the student’s eligibility and issue a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the student. The student must provide a copy of the COE to the Financial Aid Office before benefits can be certified.

Students using Vocational Rehabilitation benefits should contact Adler’s Office of Student Accounts for specific information at 312.662.4407 or

Pending Tuition and Fee Payments 

Students utilizing Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) education benefits may have a tuition and fees payment sent directly to Adler University. While the tuition and fee payment is pending from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Adler will not take any of the following actions:

  • Prevent enrollment;
  • Assess a late payment fee;
  • Require alternative or additional funding; or
  • Deny access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other Adler facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills.

This pending payment provision supersedes other policies listed elsewhere in the Course Catalog. 

To qualify for this provision, Ch. 31 and 33 students may be required to submit the following to the Office of Financial Aid:

  • Provide a Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Submit a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed in order for the Office of Financial Aid to properly certify enrollment to the VA.

Military Tuition Assistance

Each branch of the US Military offers a Tuition Assistance (TA) program to Active and/or Reserve Military Service members. TA can cover up to $250 per credit hour, not to exceed the amount per Military Fiscal Year based on branch of service. For more information on TA, including a breakdown of Tuition Assistance dollar amounts by branch, click here.

Applying for Military Tuition Assistance

  • Complete the correct enrollment form associated with your branch of the US Military for approval by your Military Education Officer.
  • Submit the APPROVED TA form to Adler University’s Student Accounts Office.

Note: Army TA users will need to complete the TA process through the Go Army Ed website.

More Information

If you have questions about using your Veterans and/or Military benefits at Adler University, do not hesitate to reach out to Adler University staff.

Veterans Education Benefits Questions:

Adler’s Office of Financial Aid

Vocational Rehabilitation or Military Tuition Assistance Questions:

Adler’s Office of Student Accounts