Adler University’s online Master of Arts in Counseling: Specialization in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program prepares clinicians to practice social responsibility through providing therapeutic services in a diverse range of clinical settings.
Our innovative program is designed to prepare clinical mental health counselors to serve diverse populations in both the public and private sectors. Additionally, our practitioner-focused program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP), which recognizes programs that meet or exceed the highest standards for counselor preparation.
Online Instructional Modality
The online modality of our Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is designed for students who want to complete the program in a distance learning format. All courses will be delivered online using the university’s learning management system.
In addition to online engagement and learning, four courses will have face-to-face teaching and evaluation components required prior to entering practicum, which will be conducted during a 5-day residency week during the first and second years. The courses include:
- Counseling Skills (First-year Residency)
- Counseling Multicultural Communities (First-year Residency)
- Group Counseling (Second-year Residency)
- Treatment Planning & Intervention (Second-year Residency)
Adler is closely monitoring public health updates and following state and local guidelines. To protect the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff, Residency Weeks for the Summer 2019, Summer 2020, Fall 2019, Fall 2020 cohorts will be conducted in a virtual environment.
Residency week for the Spring 2021 cohort is currently scheduled to take place at our Chicago campus. However, this is subject to change pending further updates from public health officials.
Residency Week Schedule (Updated July 30, 2020)
Residency weeks take place:
- During the first semester of your first year, and the first semester of the second year.
- In the 10th week of the semester, or the 2nd week of the Second Term.
- At the Chicago Campus: 17 North Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60602. Due to the pandemic, the residency week of fall 2020 will be conducted virtually; the format of the residency week in Spring 2021 will be determined based on the development of the pandemic.
- From 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily during the week and evening activities if on campus.
|Entering Semester (Cohort)||First Year First Semester Residency Dates||Second Year First Semester Residency Dates||Remarks & COVID – 19
|Summer 2019||Completed||Summer Residency moved to Nov. 2–6, 2020||Virtual
|Fall 2019||Completed||November 2–6, 2020||Virtual
|Spring 2020||Completed||March 8–12, 2021||On campus (subject to change)
|Summer 2020||Summer Residency moved to Nov. 2–6, 2020||July 5-9, 2021||Virtual
|Fall 2020||Nov. 2–6, 2020||November 1–5, 2021||Virtual
|Spring 2021||March 8–12, 2021||March 7–11, 2022||On campus (subject to change)
|Summer 2021||July 5-9, 2021||July 11–15, 2022||On campus (subject to change)|